25 April, 2013

Blog 21: Independent Component 2

Literal:

A)I, Jared Gonzales, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work.
B)Baldwin Park Police Explorers
C) Hours Log
D) Since the last independent component, I have graduated into becoming a full fledged police explorer, have gone to competition where I tested everything I have learned in my classes against other police explorers, and I have been attending meetings at my Police Explorer post and furthering my education on law enforcement through the program. I have also used my mentorship to help me explore different answers and activities that I can use for my final 2 hour presentation. Competition was a great area for me to do mock tests of how an officer can best handle life threatening situations since a lot of scenarios involved that very thing. On top of this, I have done details for my post.

Interpretive: 

Having now graduated police explorer academy, I am now a full fledged police explorer. I got to take part in a nationwide competition at Chandler, Arizona that police posts from all over the country come to compete in. I participated in multiple scenarios where there were live actors, the scenarios were replicas of past events that have actually happened, and the whole thing was made to be as realistic as possible. I was in charge of a hostage negotiations scenario where I had to talk down a high school student with a gun who had multiple hostages and had shot a few already. Competition was one of the most significant moments of my senior project as it gave me a means to test out ways an officer can best handle a life threatening situation. As a result I was able to come up with the answers I have now.


 
One of the scenarios at Chandler, Arizona

Some of the competitions were those of strength and teamwork.
While others looked at critical thinking and communication.
The type of events were very varied, but teamwork was necessary in all.
A team about to breach a building in a 10 man hostage rescue scenario.
Explorer Sgt from my Post.
Shooting competitions were a large part of the Chandler competition.
Having to pull a swat vehicle was a challenging event.

A lot of the events had professional actors as criminals. 
Making them seem almost like the real thing.
In the end, Baldwin Park came away with a lot of trophies.

Applied:

As I stated above, this component really helped me narrow done my answers for my EQ since I got to test their actual application in the field. I quickly discovered that my explorer training practically saved me in the scenarios meant to be life threatening (answer # 1), that being able to effectively communicate with not only my partners but with suspects and fellow agencies was almost essential (answer # 2), and that understanding how everything from my radio to my handcuffs worked meant that I wasn't struggling with them while under fire (airsoft bb's and paintballs) and thus I was able to concentrate on staying in one piece during competition (answer # 3). 



No comments:

Post a Comment